Monday, July 28, 2008

Napaso sa SONA

I distinctly remember Gloria Arroyo's 2001 State of the Nation Address. We were required in our Political Science class to make a reaction paper on the said SONA, so I had to watch the whole proceeding. But more than that, I really wanted to hear GMA's first SONA, since she held so much promise then.

I remember writing in my reaction paper that the speech took off on a cheesy start. There s really no need to include the Payatas kids (and their bankang papel) in the speech. No need for dramatics for a SONA, I wrote.

Then I praised GMA for thinking like an economist that she is. I wrote that Arroyo had clear goals- S.M.A.R.T. goals (Developed by Peter Drucker, S.M.A.R.T. stands for: Specific Measurable Achievable Relevant and Time-bound).

Fast forward to 2008, the goals of Arroyo way back in 2001 still remain to be goals. No, not goals - they are more accurately described as pipe dreams.

In fact, it seems that the State has gone the opposite direction. Take for instance, Gloria's preliminary statements:
Napakalinaw, napakasimple ang hiling ng mga anak ng Payatas: Trabaho, edukasyon, sariling tahanan. Idagadag na rin: Pagkain sa bawat mesa. Ito ang mithiin ng masa.

And this, in common sense and plain talk, is the core of my vision.

Yes, there is employment. But you have to go to POEA first before you find one that can actually support a family.

Yes, there is education - the quality of which no decent president can really be proud of.

Yes, there are homes. But the government cannot really take credit for it, since Gawad Kalinga has borne the brunt of the work, effort and initiative.

And no, there is no food on the table.

Gloria has been in office for seven and a half years. She has already delivered seven SONAs. I can genuinely say, without any exaggeration whatsoever, that my family's standing in life has gone for the worse while she was in office.

So maybe I'll follow Erap's example: stay away from this year's SONA and not waste my time to listen to a "fairy tale story."

Pasong paso na kasi ako sa mga SONA ni Gloria e.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHA! isa lang syang LITANYA NANG PANTASYA NI GLORIA!

    hehehe!

    ReplyDelete

Custom Search